Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My path to freedom

As mentioned before, i've not yet reached my "freedom in living". I've got a plan though. First i should tell you about my problems.

My first and biggest problem, one that i can't start traveling as long as i have, is my loan. I ove the state a bit more then 100 000 norwegian krona, wich is about €12 700 or £10 000 - money for education. As soon as i finish schooling, i have to start paying the loan. My secound problem is my need for an education.

What i've so airily dubbed "my path to freedom", is my plan to brake free from these things as best as i can. The plan has a duration of two years. Next year i'm planning to go to school and learn what will at least be my temporary living, doing my best not to increase my loan more then absolutely nececerry. I've got only one year left, before i get a certificate of apprenticeship as an agronomist. That means i can work mainly as a help on farms, with a fixed pay somwhere along the lines of 250 000 NOK before tax. 

Then the secound year, i'll do just that. I'll get a full time job, live at home with my parents so i won't have to pay for housing, and earn enough money to completely kill off my loan. Then i'll do one of the many things i want to do sometime. There's so many things i really want to do, things that won't cost that much but won't be doable if i have a loan lurched on my back.

These two years can easily turn out to be two rather tough years, for varying reasons. The first year i will struggle with economy. I'll get a scollarship at about 3600 nok, whilst housing with food costs 3200 nok. Nothing left for anything! So i have to have a job if i'm going to live at all that year, and to have a job i have to have a car. A car costs, at the very least, 1000 nok a month for ensurance. If i do get a car, but end up not getting a job in spite of my many applications, i will be in serious trouble. If i do get a job, i'll still be living on the economical edge; If i happen to get less hours a month or if i am no longer required at work, i'll end up knee-deep in problems. Or, in other words, i'll end up increasing my loan. The good side to this, however, is that i belive i'll have a socially nice year, studying interesting things and having a generally nice time with many people around me.

The secound year can be tough in the way of lacking social parts. Steigen, my homeplace, outside of summertime is a sort of empty place. Youth my age move to the cities. There is a lot of people older than me, and a lot of people significantly younger then me, but little inbetween. I love Steigen and its nature, but this is a problem. I will move there when i grow old, i think, maybe someday start a farm there. But, it is no place for youth my age.

I'm not writing this to complain about the prospect of my life. I'm in a good place compared to many i know of, in norway, and particularily compared to many i've seen and heard of in the less fortunate corners of the world. I greatly appreciate my place in the world, and i am very happy for what i've realised is my big privlage as a norwegian - i won't have a real problem getting anywhere. I'm planning to use and try to appreciate my luck. Anything else would be mad. My life is good, and i know it. My blogpost simply talks froma a western point of view.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home